Traditional digital data present the information with tables or records. Geographic Information System (GIS), however, uses spatial images (maps) to offer immediate concept of space and the operation mode. The main task of this service is to provide Geographic Information System (GIS) application environment and construct information environment integrated with space and time coordinates based on the demand of research and plans.
The primary implementation lies on establishing basic GIS-related software/hardware architecture and application planning, evaluation, promoting and preserving. Since 1995, Academia Sinica has built essential Geographic Information System (GIS) environment, including spatial-based data collection, application service system development, and WebGIS/3D GIS related techniques, to promote the study of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in various applications through the computing training courses. Lately, Academia Sinica positively implements Geographic Information System (GIS) on the "National Digital Archives Program" as one of integration technologies.
1. Technical Support for National Digital Archive Program
- Establish common spatial-temporal reference system, assist in primary data analysis for each sub-project related to National Digital Archive Program, convert content structure, and build a comprehensive application system (Geo-Library). Deliberate with highly developed technologies of domestic applications and experiences of space and time to construct spatial-temporal information integration platform. The platform provides an effective means to integrate and connect the relationship among cross-subject knowledge
- The data of National Digital Archive Program is collected based on the nature of space and time. Geographic Information System (GIS) has developed common spatial information processes and analyzing techniques, which are applied to integrating various digital archive information sharing and collection in a WebGIS environment.
- Build universal spatial information search and retrieval system to expand its scope of usage, amplify the value of digital archives, and reduce costs.
- Provide positioning inquiries with a map interface scheme.
2. >>Establish spatial-temporal framework for China
- Extensively collect historical maps, aerial photos, satellite images and numerous spatial data in China and Taiwan
- Establish a web-based application platform integrated with space-time information processing procedures.
- Gradually accumulate thematic maps of natural, biological and humanities researches
- Establish entire schemes for research and support services.
3. >>he development of relevant information processing techniques
- Temporal GIS
- Distributed spatial-temporal application environment
- Heterogeneous spatial information integration technologies (RS, GPS, Expert System)
- Open Source GIS
- 3D GIS
- Digital Earth
4. Establish efficient research support and services model
- Digital information and application environment promotion and utilization
- Cooperation programs
- Geographic Information System (GIS) training courses
- Consulting and information services
- Please call us.
- Team: GIS Team
- Location: 2nd Floor, Central Office of Administration, Building B
- Phone: (02)2789-8012
- E-mail: veevee at gate.sinica.edu.tw
- Contact: Hsiung-Ming Liao